Wednesday 3 June 2015

Me and Geppetto's workshop

I just love wooden or nostalgic toys/ornaments and my collection is growing all the time. I find the texture and wear so tactile, I really can't help myself (not that I want to). This, my very own trojan horse was my first piece and he has been with me for many, many years.


He has also made several appearances in my art journals over the years in different guises.


I have my studios buddies, the bunnies are regularly consulted as I am painting as they sit on a shelf that runs along the side of my art bench.


These are a couple of my whales, there is something so delightfully simple and playful about their shapes.


Wenceslas the zebra (so named as he was a christmas present) is sat guarding my precious journals on a shelf in my bedroom right near my bed.



Granger here is also on guard duty, this time for my work computer, he looks like he's taking his job very seriously indeed!


I'll round up with a couple more but I could keep going. They keep popping up and I can't seem to resist.


Well, I hope you enjoyed a little peek in to my collection of whimsical wooden toys. Its lovely to see what people collect isn't it? I'd love to know about your collections if you want to share.

4 comments:

  1. What lovely whimsical pieces! I find the Trojan horse motif particularly inspiring...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Claire, yes he's my favourite. He has survived many moves, my daughter & even a bit of a nibble from the our old dog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I still have a number of childhood animals who sit with me in my office space and on the bookshelves. I loved meeting them all and learning their names. I have a real soft spot for toys. Another thing- I have been so curious about the book The Miniaturist. It caught my eye at a bookstore recently and when i went back it was sold out... let me know how you like it? And keep posting. This is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Caroline, yes I've not had a chance to read The Miniaturist yet but I've got some time off coming up soon and it's a date.

    ReplyDelete